Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Ghana Needs A College Of Common Sense To Function Well...

body-container-line
Regional News | Apr 14, 2004

Assemblies urged to bear 25% cost of EU projects- Siilo

GNA

Agona Swedru, April 14, GNA- The District Co-ordinating Director for Agona, Mr G.B.L. Siilo has suggested to District, Municipal and Metropolitan Assemblies to bear 25 percent cost of European Union (EU) Micro Projects for the effective implementation and execution of the projects.

He said the rationale behind taking up the cost on behalf of the beneficiary communities, was to alleviate them from economic difficulties.

Mr Siilo who was speaking to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) at Agona Swedru on the success of EU Micro projects in the district said certain communities were facing serious financial and social problems, and needed to be helped.

The European Union bears 75 percent cost of the projects, while the beneficiary communities take up the remaining 25 percent. He said when the assemblies took up the full cost, as directed by the EU, the projects would be completed early.

Mr Siilo noted that the communities who are mostly farmers find it extremely difficult to make ends meet, and wondered how they could contribute to the project.

He said this situation had compelled some of the District, Municipal and Metropolitan Assemblies either to pull out from the programme or suspend it

The DCD said the assemblies spend more funds before putting up a classroom or toilet, and wondered why they could not do the same thing in the EU Micro Projects to alleviate the suffering of beneficiary communities.

body-container-line