ModernGhana logo
19.03.2004 General News

How Kufuor's Rider Died

By Daily Guide
Listen to article

THE MOTOR Transport and Traffic Unit (MTTU) of the Ghana Police Service, has cleared the air as to the circumstances leading to the death of Sergeant Annor, one of the outriders of President Kufuor's convoy.

Sgt Annor passed away on March 15, 2004, at 7.30 am, 48 hours after a CD vehicle, belonging to the Libyan Embassy in Accra, knocked him down at an intersection, near the private residence of President John Agyekum Kufuor. A report submitted by Chief Superintendent Victor Tandoh, Commander of the MTTU, noted that Sgt Annor died of serious head injuries after the crash and bled profusely through the ears.

The report indicated that the accident occurred when, on his way to the residence, Sgt Annor was knocked down when he attempted to over-take the CD vehicle.

According to the MTTU Commander, the driver of the CD car, Mr Fathi Salem, a Counsellor of the Libyan Embassy, stated that he showed a traffic indicator light to turn to the residence of the Ambassador, but the other rider, Sgt Owusu, claimed that the driver did not show any indicator to turn to the left.

Giving a low-down on the President's programme for the day, the Commander of the MTTU, who is in-charge of handling the Police Dispatch Riders, indicated that the President was billed to attend a special congregation at the University of Ghana, to honour nine prominent personalities for their distinguished contributions to the university, education and community development in general.

To that end, the motor riders went on a reconnaissance (Recce) to Legon. They were supposed to make the trip from Castle, Osu, to Legon. However, before 2:30 pm, there was a call that His Excellency's convoy was leaving for Legon.

When the convoy set off, it took Dzorwulu road. Chief Superintendent Tandoh explained that the head rider and other riders had the impression that they were going to use Nestle road through Tetteh Quarshie road to Legon. At the junction of the President's Residence, the two (2) lead riders missed the route, and went straight, apparently to proceed to Legon.

Meanwhile, the main convoy drove straight to the President's Residence. According to the MTTU Commander, on realising that the convoy was not following, the two riders returned.

On their way to the Residence, whilst Sgt Annor was overtaking a CD vehicle, there was a crash between the rider and the vehicle. Sgt Annor was rushed to the Nyaho Clinic and later transferred to the 37 Military Hospital, where he died two days later.

Join our Newsletter