ModernGhana logo
03.09.2013 General News

Techiman cells inmates redistributed

By Daily Graphic
Listen to article

Some of the police officers and men who undertook the rescue mission also received first aid treatment at the Holy Family Hospital at Techiman.

The Techiman Municipal Police Commander, Mr Daniel Doh-Nkeboare, told the Daily Graphic on telephone that the tear gas that exploded at the Techiman Police Station was part of the riot control equipment given to the officers and men of the station to maintain peace in the Techiman municipality before, during and after the Supreme Court judgement.

He said the tear gas that exploded was on one detective officer who was taking a rest at the charge office on returning from patrol duty. When he was about to rise and resume duty, the tear gas cannister, which had entangled some obsolete chairs at the charge office  accidentally went off.

Mr Doh-Nkeboare said immediately the tear gas exploded, he mobilised about 30 men to rescue the inmates of the cells to safety.

He said the inmates and the police personnel who rescued them were taken to the Techiman Holy Family Hospital, where they were treated and discharged.

Mr Doh-Nkeboare said a vehicle was provided by the Regional Police Headquarters in Sunyani to transport the inmates to other police cells in the region, in response to his call.

The Techiman Municipal Police Commander appealled to philanthropists and corporate organisations to assist the command to construct a modern police cell at the Municipal Police Headquarters.

He said the command had started work on one and needed support to complete it.

He also appealed for the construction of police barracks at Techiman to house police personnel in the municipality who were currently living in rented houses dotted in and around the municipality, a situation which he said made it difficult to mobilise personnel for emergency situations such as the one that occurred last Friday.

By Samuel Duodu/Daily Graphic/Ghana

Join our Newsletter