One more Gomoa Mampong accident victim dies
Winneba (C/R), Feb. 24. GNA - Another person, who was involved in the Gomoa Mampong, Central Region, lorry accident, and was on admission at the Winneba District Trauma and Specialist Hospital, passed away, bringing to 12 the number of persons so far dead in the tragedy.
This was made known to the GNA by the Winneba Divisional Commander of the Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU) of the Ghana Police Service, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) John Paul Akonde.
He said the accident occurred when a 207 Benz Bus conveying mourners from Nsawam to Mankesim, was involved in a head-on collision with a heavy duty tipper truck on Saturday, in which 11 of them died and seven others sustained injuries.
The MTTU Commander said the injured were five males, including a 7-year old boy, and two females, were receiving treatment at the Hospital.
He said the dead bodies, including four males and six females yet to be identified had been deposited at the mortuary of the same hospital.
ASP Akonde appealed to the general public, particularly people from Nsawam and its environs, to visit the Hospital and identify the bodies.
He said the cause of the accident was unknown but the police were investigation the tragedy.