ModernGhana logo
23.07.2012 Politics

Security Agents Avert Clash At Akuse

By Nana Konadu Agyeman - Daily Graphic
Listen to article

The intervention of police personnel and soldiers prevented what could have been a violent clash between the people of the Manya Krobo Traditional Area and Akuse Saturday.

Police personnel from Akuse, Akosombo, Koforidua and Accra were assisted by soldiers from the 64 Infantry to stop the chiefs and youth of Akuse from pitting their strength against the chiefs and youth from Manya Krobo.

Armed with iron bars, sticks and other offensive weapons, the Akuse people blocked the road leading to the town to prevent the chiefs and people of Manya Krobo from getting to the town to celebrate the Supreme Court ruling that declared Akuse to be part of the Eastern Region, not the Greater Accra Region.

At the police barrier on the Akuse road, the Akuse people stopped and damaged the windscreen and tyres of a KIA truck which was carrying canopies from Odumase-Krobo to the celebration grounds at Akuse.

The youth of Akuse burnt the canopies, captured the driver of the KIA truck and took him to the private house of the Chief of Akuse, Nene Teye Tetriku I, at Kulape in Akuse but later released him.

However, the angry youth of Akuse fled immediately they saw policemen from Akuse and Akosombo who had been dispatched to the scene to maintain law and order.

Briefing on the incident at Akuse, the Akosombo Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Amo Ayisi, said when the police succeeded in dispersing the crowd from Akuse at the police barrier, they also heard that some chiefs and youth from Odumase-Krobo were heading towards Akuse.

He said the police stopped the chiefs and people of Manya Krobo at the barrier and appealed to them to return to Odumase-Krobo, but “that did not go down well with them”.

“Just as we were talking with the chiefs and the elders, the angry youth among them started pelting the police with stones and one of my men was hit on the forehead and he was rushed to the Akuse Government Hospital for treatment,” he stated.

He added that to prevent any violent confrontation, the police had to allow the chiefs and their youth from Odumase-Krobo to proceed to Akuse to celebrate the victory.

According to Chief Supt Ayisi, to ensure a peaceful celebration, the armed police personnel and soldiers had to patrol the celebration grounds and their environs from 11 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. when the celebration came to an end.

He said the Lower Manya District Security Committee had earlier written to the Paramount Chief of the Manya Traditional Area, Konor Nene Sackitey II, and his sub-chiefs, advising them to cancel their celebration because of the volatile situation on the ground at Akuse.

Join our Newsletter