Police quiz MP over biker's death

By Ghanaian Chronicle

By: John Bediako
Raymond Tawiah, MP for Yilo Krobo
The Member of Parliament (MP) for the Yilo Krobo Constituency of the Eastern Region, Raymond Tawiah, is assisting the police at Somanya to investigate the cause of death of a motor rider.

The Chronicle investigation has revealed that the parliamentarian is literally scratching his head now, because he failed to report the accident, and only did so several days later.

The family of the deceased, known only as Jiga, is adding salt to the injury of the law maker as they are at his throat to cough GH¢8,000 to enable them to perform the burial and funeral rites of the late Jiga, said to be a polling station chairman of the MP's party, the National Democratic Congress (NDC).

The Chronicle spoke to the MP, Raymond Tawiah, aka EI Shadai, who confirmed the incident, and stated that it occurred on the 28th February 2012, when he set off from Somanya en-route to Parliament in Accra.

According to him, while driving, and on reaching Trom junction, a suburb of Somanya, he spotted a bike rider ahead, and in an attempt to overtake him, he noticed that another vehicle was overtaking on-coming traffic.

He went on to say that he veered off the road to avoid colliding with the overtaking vehicle, only to realize that the biker had jammed his car in the rear.

The soft-spoken MP said that he lifted the victim to his private clinic, El Shadai Clinic, at Somanya, and the rider was offered first aid, and sent to the Atua Government Hospital where he was diagnosed as having a fractured arm.

The medical authorities, therefore, recommended that Jiga be sent to the St. Joseph's Catholic Hospital at Koforidua, where the MP paid GH¢1,500 for his medical treatment, and was there till he passed away on the 2nd April 2012.

The MP went on to say that he reported the accident to the police at Somanya on Friday the 30th of March, 2012.

A local police source, however, intimated that the accident occurred on March 12, 2012, but the MP made a report on the 28th of March, 2012, 16 clear days after, an assertion the law maker debunked.

The Chronicle made efforts to reach the Akuse District Commander of Police, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Douglas Kuma, without success.

More General News ...

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.
Do you have an article for publication? Please email it to [email protected].

2017 is approaching so start your dreams now not until the countdown kicks in.
By: Lawrence