Rawlings 'concerned' about using his name for NDC-related events
Accra, March 15, GNA – Former President Jerry John Rawlings on Thursday expressed concern about the use of his name to publicize events, particularly those related to the National Democratic Congress (NDC) that he has not been invited or confirmed to attend.
A statement issued from the Office of the Former President said it had taken particular note of extensive publicity on the forthcoming rally of the Greater Accra Region NDC at Mantse Agboena in which “The media has been erroneously informed” that the former first couple had been invited to attend.
“This office wishes to inform the general public that it has received no invitation on behalf of President Rawlings,” it said.
The statement said the only communication it had received from the Greater Accra NDC in the past few weeks was a letter dated February 21 and received on February 24 which requested the former President to grant audience to the Regional Secretariat to introduce parliamentary candidates for the 2012 elections.
“No mention is made of any rally in the said letter. We wish to state that there are clear procedures for inviting President and Mrs. Rawlings to events.
“Individuals or organisations are required to send formal invitations in writing or seek audience to present their requests.”
The statement said none of the above had been brought to the attention of the Office of the Former President as far as the rally at Mantse Agboena on March 17 was concerned.
“Once an invitation is received President and Mrs Rawlings reserve the right to accept or turn down the invitation and it is only then, can the organisers choose to publicize their attendance,” it said.