ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: The Most Befitting Memorial In Honor Of The Late J. J. Rawlings...

body-container-line-1
25.01.2012 General News

MTTU Raises GH¢ 2, 750 From Motor Bike Sales

By Daily Guide
Listen to article

THE MOTOR Traffic & Transport Unit (MTTU) of the Ghana Police Service over the weekend raised GH¢2,750 from the auctioning of impounded motorbikes in the Greater Accra region.

The motorbikes were sold to scrap metal dealers after several attempts by the unit and the police administration to get the owners to retrieve them failed.

Speaking at a brief ceremony in Accra to auction off the motorbikes, Samuel Tetteh, Deputy MTTU Commander explained that they were seized in March 2011 and several attempts by his outfit to pursue the owners had proved futile.

The deputy commander explained that the owners had refused to come for their motorbikes because of the notion that they would be arrested and processed for court over various road offences.

He added further that the decision to auction off the motorbikes to scrap dealers was adopted since the MTTU and the police service do not wish to see the same motorbikes back on the roads again.  

 'We are not giving out documents for the bikes so that people who purchase them can re-register them. The idea is that once the scrap dealers purchase the bikes they will dismantle them before they leave our premises,' he added.

The deputy commander observed that 75 percent of the money generated from the auction will go to the national coffers while the remaining 25 percent will be paid into the Police Welfare Fund.

He added that Police Regulation 1971(LI 704) backed the police administration in the disposal of impounded properties.  

According to him, the motorbikes were impounded in connection with various road traffic offences and the commercialization of motorbikes popularly known as 'okada' among others.

Thirty-three bikes were auctioned off while thirteen unregistered ones will be valued by the Customs, Excise and Preventive Service (CEPS) before the unit decides what to do with them.

The auctioning price ranging between GH¢50 and GH ¢300, drew a number of scrap metal dealers from the Agbogbloshie market to the MTTU headquarters in Accra.

By Portia Anaman
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Modern Ghana Links
body-container-line