Over 30 people suffering from food poisoning in Obuasi
Several residents of Obuasi in the Ashanti Region are suffering from suspected food poisoning after eating fried rice from a particular fast food joint.
The affected persons are experiencing severe diarrhea and vomiting at the same time.
A few of them have been rushed to the Obuasi Government hospital while several others have been taken to St Jude's Hospital for treatment. Mr Samuel Mensah's wife and three children are among almost 30 victims being treated at St Jude's hospital for suspected food poisoning.
Mr Mensah in an interview with Citi FM said “Friday morning when I called my family and asked them about how they were doing, my wife told me that they are all sick, running and vomiting.
“So when I rushed home, I saw them, they were running and I sent them to the hospital at Obuasi St. Jude Hospital and the doctor asked them that which food did they eat the previous day and my wife told me that they bought some fried rice and the doctor said it is the fried rice that caused that diarrhea. ”
The Medical Superintendent at the Obuasi Government Hospital Dr Nsiah Boakye confirmed to Citi News that four patients had so far been brought there with similar symptoms but says lab tests are yet to be undertaken to confirm if it is really food poisoning.
Dr. Boakye said “it is not really confirmed it is food poisoning, we are still doing investigations and we have not finished.
“We [are] only stabilizing them; they are coming with diarrhea and vomiting and we have to find the source. They are all pointing to the same source that they ate something from somewhere. ”
Meanwhile the owner of the Fast food joint Nana Mensah has said that he has been inundated with complaints from customers who bought fried rice from his joint a couple of days ago. He says he has met with officials of the Municipal health directorate over the matter. He is surprised by the turn of events.
According to Nana Mensah he has been running the fast food joint for the past 20 years and this is the first time such an issue has come up.
He said on the said day he tasted the food himself and nothing of the sought happened to him so he is very surprised at the reports that are reaching him.