FEATURED: The Most Befitting Memorial In Honor Of The Late J. J. Rawlings...

31.03.2011 Regional News

Rioting In Tamale Claims Life - Government Imposes Curfew

By Zakaria Alhassan - Daily Graphic
Listen to article

One person has been confirmed dead during rioting by an alleged Andani youth group in Tamale on Tuesday night.

A section of the youth went on the rampage after news went round about the acquittal and discharge of the 15 members of the Abudu Family who had been charged with the murder of Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II.

Meanwhile, the government has imposed a curfew on the Tamale metropolis and its environs as a result of the acts of vandalism in the area by sections of the youth. The curfew, effective Tuesday, March 29, 2011, begins from 11 p.m. and ends at 6 a.m. daily.

A statement issued by the Ministry of the Interior said, the decision was arrived at upon the advice of the Northern Regional Security Committee (REGSEC).

The statement signed by Interior Minister Dr Benjamin Kunbuor, said, “The government wishes to assure all, that it is committed to ensuring justice for all.”

It, therefore, appealed to the youth of the area “to exercise restraint and allow the due process of the law to take its course”.

The REGSEC, after a meeting yesterday, also entreated the public, particularly the jubilant faction, to exercise restraint and caution in their celebrations in order not to cause any disaffection in the area.

Meanwhile, body of the deceased, Safianu Adams, 29, a taxi driver, has been deposited at the Tamale Teaching Hospital morgue awaiting autopsy.

According to the police, they were yet to ascertain the cause of the death of the deceased, which occurred around the Central Market Square about 9 p.m. when some security personnel fired warning shots to ward off the agitated youth.

The Northern Regional Police PRO, Mr Ebenezer Tetteh, said no arrest had been made yet but indicated that even though Tamale was now calm, “we are intensifying our patrols to ensure that the situation does not degenerate”.

He said earlier in the evening, the rampaging youth had attacked offices of the Northern Regional National Democratic Congress (NDC) and the National Youth Employment Programme (NYEP) in the metropolis and set them ablaze.

Also vandalised was the Tamale South Constituency office of the NDC, while some office equipment was burnt at the Tamale Central Constituency office of the party.

The youth blocked some major roads by setting fire to lorry tyres on those roads.

The Accra Fast Track High Court on Tuesday acquitted and discharged all the 15 suspects standing trial for the murder of the late king in March 2002.

The trial Judge, Justice E. K. Ayebi, disposed of the matter for want of evidence.

Modern Ghana Links