ModernGhana logo
02.11.2010 General News

Another 'witness' corroborates Amina's 'mass rape' story

By myjoyonline
Listen to article

Even as the Ghana Police Service continues to detain and deny the story of Amina Mohammed, the 24-year-old woman who reported the alleged mass rape of female passengers on a Tamale-bound bus which allegedly occurred on October 11, 2010, another witness has emerged to corroborate Amina's story.

A young man who walked into the offices of Vizen FM an affiliate station of Adom FM in Chiraa Adesuokor in the Brong Ahafo Region also claimed to be on the said bus and said the rape did indeed occur.

The young man who refused to mention his name but said he was more than willing to come down to Accra and also speak publicly, told Adakabre Frimpong-Manso on Dwaso Nsem on Tuesday, November 2 that he only heard about Amina Mohammed's detention on radio on Monday and was compelled to come out because he could not stand the treatment being meted out to Amina.

He said that he was drunk when he boarded the bus and so fell asleep along the way but he heard shouts from the passengers after which the driver stopped and they were all asked to get down.

He said he was made to have sex with a woman who he learnt had returned to the country from abroad.

He also confirmed that a man was forced to sleep with his own daughter, insisting that he could identify the man because the man stood very close to where he and the woman were made to have sex.

He, however, added a new twist to the story saying that the driver who finally took them to their destination was not the one who raped the three women so he was sure there were two drivers on the bus.

According to him, all the passengers on the bus resolved not to talk about the issue because the married ones especially the women all wanted to protect their reputations since it was a shameful act.

The man said he is ready to foot his own bills to come to Accra with his ticket to prove that the story is true and asked the police not to politicise the issues or cover up things because he could vouch that the incident happened.

When he was asked by Adakabre to go to the nearest police station in Chiraa Adesuokor, he declined the counsel citing Amina's treatment at the hands of the police as the reason for his refusal.

He, however agreed to come down to Accra accompanied by the Chiraa police saying he would let his wife and children know where he was going in the event that he does not return.

Preparations are underway to get the man down to Accra to give his statement.

Story by

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter