FEATURED: Just In: Supreme Court Stops Justice Wuni From Hearing Ken Agyapong’s ...

03.12.2002 General News

Death In Ashaiman Police Cells

By Ghanaian Chronicle
Listen to article

The Monitoring and Inspection Unit of the Ghana Police Service has taken over investigation into the cause of death of a suspect, Abraham Nartey, in the Ashaiman police cells.

The Staff Officer to the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Chief Superintendent Oppong Boanu, disclosed this to the Chronicle last week.

According to the staff officer, police depend on a coroner's report in such unnatural deaths for the next line of action.

He stated that no one implicated in the death of the suspect will be shielded for the fundamental rights of all are respected.

He went on to state that every report made to the police is treated with the needed seriousness.

Meanwhile, the family of the deceased, Abraham Nartey, have petitioned the IGP to cause an investigation into the arrest of Nartey and circumstances surrounding his death in the cells.

According to a letter signed by one Ahama who claims to be the father of the deceased, on that fateful November 11, 2002, one Dornu invited Abraham Nartey who was eating with friends at Kakasunanka, near the Michel Camp to accompany him to Ashaiman.

It was alleged that on the way, Dornu offered him some drinks and later sent him to the Ashaiman police station for an offence he knew nothing about.

For five days Abraham Nartey remained in cells without any statement taken from him and he died the fifth day.

According to Ahama, his son reportedly complained of stomachache in the cells by shouting to be taken to hospital but was ignored.

Family sources told the Chronicle that their request to the police at Ashaiman to be told the complainant in the case was also turned down.

The source said that so much mystery surround the death of Abraham Nartey that it is only external enquiries outside the place where the incident occurred that can unravel the facts.

The deceased was placed in the custody of the Ashaiman police on November 11, this year for allegedly stealing pieces of wood from a site.

In the night of November14 at about 9.00pm, he reportedly exhibited a strange behaviour in the cells as he stepped on the inmates, shouting.

The inmates, after a plea for police assistance failed, tied him with a piece of cloth but he disentangled himself.

He was tied again but later about 4.00am GMT of Friday, November 15, died in the cells.

Powered By Modern Ghana