Accra, March 4, GNA - Mr George Boateng, an electrical consultant, on Thursday observed that most of the fire outbreaks recorded in recent times at public buildings and private properties could be attributed to electrical faults.
He said regular maintenance and engineering audit of electrical installations would go a long way to forestall some of these unfortunate incidents.
Mr Boateng was speaking at a seminar organised by the Ghana Electrical Contractors Association (GECA) in Accra.
He said one of the major problems leading to fire outbreaks was improper handling of electrical gadgets.
Mr Boateng said high voltage surges, loose electrical terminals, lightening and current fluctuation were some of the causes of electrical fire.
He noted that every electrical appliance has its lifespan and protection systems and when they are worn out electrical fires could occur.
"We should be careful the way we handle electrical gadgets in our households," he added.
Mr Joseph B. Walker, National President of GECA, announced proactive steps to stem the incidence of electrical fire outbreaks.
These include seminars to educate private and commercial maintenance managers and occupants of government buildings.
He said the seminar would focus on the causes of electrical fire outbreaks and prevention, adding that the platform created would give the opportunity for people to ask relevant questions which could deepen their understanding of the operations and maintenance of electrical installations.
Mr Walker said the association intended to position itself to provide maintenance and engineering audits on all electrical installations of government and private properties in every region.
He said the group would educate the public on energy conservation and also extend it to some government institutions.