FEATURED: Ghana Back To Hipc Not True – Oppong Nkrumah...

10.07.2002 Tabloid News

Man "fed up with life" commits suicide

Listen to article

A TWENTY-EIGHT-YEAR-OLD resident of Nungua in Accra, Kwabena Antwi, is said to have committed suicide by splitting his abdomen with a broken louvre blade. Antwi was said to have declared earlier that he was fed up with life. His body was found with his intestines exposed on the compound of the house in which he lived at about 4 a.m. on Monday.

On the eve of his death, Antwi, a native of Akim-Apedwa in the Eastern Region and an employee of the Ghana Food Cannery, Tema, reportedly poured libation in front of the house with half a bottle of akpeteshie, invoking the ancestral spirits and telling them that he was tired of life and that he has decided “to end it all”.

The Accra Regional Police Commander, Dr Kofi Kesse Manfo, who disclosed this in an interview in Accra yesterday, said “so far it looks like suicide, but we will still investigate to find out the true cause of his death”.

He said the body has been deposited at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital mortuary, for autopsy.

According to Dr Manfo, the deceased recently fell sick and was admitted to the Christian Medical Centre at Nungua.

He was discharged on July 4, after spending a week on admission, the commander said.

Dr Manfo said that the deceased was still going for regular check up at the same medical the centre after he had been discharged.

In another development, two young men, believed to be in their early twenties, last Friday tied the legs and arms of a 19-year old girl in her house at Bubuashie, and also cellotaped her mouth while her parents were away, and then subjected her to severe physical torture at knife point, to force her to show them where her father had kept money in his bedroom.

After some hours, a neighbour who was passing by the house and saw what was happening, raised an alarm that attracted other neighbours to the house. They rescued the girl and also managed to arrest one of the assailants, Jonathan Agbotei, while the other one whose name was only given as Sammy, fled. Dr Manfo said that the knives have been retrieved from the suspects. He said Agbotei will be arraigned before court soon, while a search has been mounted for Sammy.

Powered By Modern Ghana