FEATURED: The Bushy Roads In The City Of Accra: Who Is Sleeping On The Job?...

21.03.2009 General News

Lion Chief Alive

By Daily Guide
Lion Chief Alive

Chief, Torgbe Dzamesi lying on his bed Togbe Dzamesi II, the Chief of Adaklu-Wuakpe who engaged a lion in a 45-minute duel in the jungle at Wuakpe near Wumenu, in the Adaklu Ayingbe District of the Volta region, is recovering from the multiple wounds the beast inflicted on his left arm and left thigh.

This was contrary to wild rumours that broke in the Volta region last week that the 51-year-old farmer had died from his wounds at the Volta Regional Hospital.

When the Ghana News Agency called at the hospital on Thursday, Togbe Dzamesi was seen pensively praying on his hospital bed.

He told the GNA , “I'm feeling much better than ever. The pains are less, I eat and sleep well.”

Togbe Dzamesi said he was grateful to hospital personnel who attended to him and expressed gratitude to all sympathizers.

Ms. Margaret Appiah, who is in charge of the male surgical ward, told the GNA that the Chief was responding quickly to medical treatment.

She said he was now able to visit the washroom unaided.

Ms Appiah appealed to the public to desist from spreading false information about the health of patients because of the psychological effect it could have on them.

It would be recalled that DAILY GUIDE broke the exclusive story now nicknamed, 'the Adaklu Lion Story' when the chief was first attacked by the mysterious beast.

The 54-year-old chief of the town, Torgbe Dzamesi II, known in private life as Daniel Agbeda, was attacked by the lion which was suspected to have strayed into Ghana from Togo.

The animal chopped off part of the chief's flesh during the deadly encounter.

Prior to the attack, DAILY GUIDE witnessed the beating of a gong-gong in Adaklu Goefe announcing the suspected presence of a lion which had allegedly devoured four animals.   

Speaking to DAILY GUIDE on his hospital bed, Torgbe Dzamesi said at about 12noon on the day of the encounter, he went to his new farmland in the company of his two children Yaw and Kofi Dzamesi, aged 15 and 20 respectively.

He explained that on reaching the farmland, he asked his children to climb a tree and wait while he surveyed the land since it had been rumoured that a lion was on the prowl.

Torgbe Dzamesi continued that after the survey, he was returning to where his children were when he heard something step on a dry leaf behind him.

When he turned round, he came face-to-face with the lion which had apparently been trailing him slowly. The lion which was about five meters from him, stood still as soon as it realized he had seen it.

Torgbe Dzamesi alleged that he then aimed at the animal and pulled the trigger of his double barrelled local gun. The bullet caught the lion on the head and immediately, the wounded lion pounced on him.

A struggle then ensued, during which he screamed to his children asking them to run home and call for assistance.

The lion, he said, attempted to break his neck but he defended it, resulting in scratches on his left eye side.

The wounded lion put Torgbe's left hand into the mouth and chewed some flesh off.

Telling DAILY GUIDE how he survived the attack, he alleged that he recited some incantations which he claimed closed the lion's mouth and subsequently made it run into the bush.

From WISE DONKOR, with additional files from GNA