FEATURED: The Bushy Roads In The City Of Accra: Who Is Sleeping On The Job?...

31.01.2009 Regional News

Fear Grips Kumasi

By Daily Guide
Fear Grips Kumasi

Ayisi-Boateng Some residents in the Kumasi Metropolis are currently living in fear following the issuance of threat of death by a notorious gang on some prominent residents of the Metropolis.

Their fear heightened on Tuesday morning when news got to them that the group carried out one of the threats by attacking and inflicting severe cutlass wounds on Ekow Sackey, Assemblyman for the Asem Electoral Area in Kumasi on Monday night.

The group, said to be led by one “CD”, a notorious gangster, further phoned in to Fox FM, a Kumasi-based radio station, on Tuesday morning and announced the names of other prominent residents, who were on their hit-list.

The names included that of George Ayisi-Boateng, Manager of the Asafo Goil Filling Station in Kumasi.

Mr Sackey told the Ghana News Agency that he was attacked by the gang led by “CD” in his home and beaten up without any provocation. He was admitted at a hospital in Kumasi and discharged the following day.

He said he had made a report to the Police, but they were yet to make any arrest.

Mr Ayisi-Boateng, speaking to the GNA on the threat on his life, said last week, he received a telephone call from someone who identified himself as “CD”, owner of a gymnasium which was demolished by the Police at Fante Newtown in Kumasi in 2001.

According to Mr Ayisi-Boateng, the caller claimed that he (Ayisi-Boateng) together with the then Ashanti Regional Minister, S.K. Boafo, masterminded the demolishing of the gym.

Mr Ayisi-Boateng said the caller further claimed that Mr Boafo had already compensated him and it was left for him to do the same, and warned him that they were going to attack him and so he should get ready.

Mr Ayisi-Boateng said he had informed the Police about the threat on his life.

 A source at the Zongo Police Station in Kumasi confirmed the attack on Mr Sackey and said investigations were ongoing, adding that the Police was yet to arrest the leader of the group.