The Tema office of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) on Thursday launched a house to house campaign to sensitize residents on the need to adhere to fire safety measures.
Briefing newsmen at Tema, Mr Kwabena Taah Korang, Tema Regional Fire Officer said the measure aimed at minimizing the occurrence of domestic fire outbreaks recorded in the metropolis and the Ashaiman Municipality.
He said though the outfit embarked on educational programmes in organisations and the communities, the house to house approach would go down well with the people to behave responsibly towards fire.
The Fire Officer indicated that the region recorded 128 domestic fires in 2007 against 90 in 2008, saying that the reduction still posed a challenge that called for bringing it down to the barest minimum.
He advised residents to cooperate with firemen who would be involved in the exercise and appealed to media personnel to educate the public through their reportage.
Mr Korang gave some fire safety tips and advised residents against overloading of switch plug with many electrical appliances, stocking of large quantities of flammable liquids in the house and the replacement of fuse wire with nails, hair pins or wires as they formed the common causes of domestic fire.
He entreated residents to always rely on qualified electricians to check on their electrical connections and gadgets stressing that they must ensure the covering of naked wires or cables.
Mr Korang warned that the law would deal with those who flouted the rules and regulations on domestic fire management in the metropolis.