FEATURED: Let's Embed Rawlings' Values In The National Psyche — Parliament...

19.11.2008 Tragedy

5 Killed In Fire Outbreak At Anyaa

By Anita Nyarko -
Listen to article

Five people died and some others were injured when fire gutted a three storey warehouse at Anyaa “NIC” last Monday night.

The warehouse, stocked with toy guns, fire crackers, knockouts and dolls  belonging to a Nigerian woman who is on the run.

The dead, who were burnt beyond recognition, have been deposited at the Police Hospital mortuary, while the injured are receiving treatment at various hospitals.

When the Times got to the scene at around 7:00a.m. yesterday, personnel from the National Fire Service were still trying to put out the fire.

Some residents were seen looting the remaining items which included toys guns, knockout and dolls.

A tour of the area revealed that some houses had their louvre blades and other fittings made of glass as well as their roofs shattered.  Also burnt was a water container and a car. Human parts were also found littered at the scene.

Any eye witness,  said at about 6:30p.m. on Monday, some workers at the warehouse off loaded some items into the warehouse and moments later they saw fire from the roof of the warehouse. They believe some of the workers were trapped in.

Briefing newsmen, the District Commander at the Odorkor Police Station DSP Sadique Osei said the cause of the fire was the result of the irresponsible use of a candle when the area was thrown into darkness as a result of a power outage.

He said the cost of damage is in billions of Ghana cedis.

DSP Osei said the fire could have been avoided if residents of the area had informed the fire service about the contents of the warehouse, adding that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) could also have been contacted to access the area before sitting the warehouse.

He advised residents to co-operate with the police to help avoid future occurences, adding that investigations are ongoing.

The Station Officer of Weija municipality of the Ghana National Fire Service,Adarkwei  Lamptey, said when the fire team  got to the scene  there was no water hydrant in the area as well as access roads, to the place making the effort to bring the fire under control very difficult.

Modern Ghana Links