An Israeli businessman kidnapped last week in Ghana managed to escape his captors unharmed on Wednesday night.
Israel's Foreign Ministry said the man, who is in his 60s, had made contact with local security forces after he had freed himself. The ministry added that he had reunited with relatives who were also in the West African country.
It was still unclear on Thursday who the kidnappers were and why they chose to kidnap the businessman.
Last week, Ghana's National Security Coordinator Sam Amoo told the Ghana News Agency the kidnappers had contacted the businessman's family to demand a ransom of $500,000.
Amoo said Friday they had reduced the amount to $30,000. He also said a task force had been set up to try to win the release of the kidnapped Israeli
By Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent and Haaretz Service