A Taskforce comprising the various security agencies set up by the National Security Council has begun an intensive search for an Israeli businessman, who was kidnapped last Sunday.
Dr Sam Amoo, National Security Coordinator, told the Ghana News Agency in Accra on Friday that the kidnappers contacted the relatives of the businessman in Israel for an initial ransom of 500,000 dollars but later reduced it to 300,000 dollars.
He said the relatives informed the Israeli Embassy in Nigeria, which also informed the Ghanaian security authorities.
Dr Amoo said the Taskforce started investigations on Monday and are working around the clock to free the businessman.
He noted that the demand for ransom meant those involved were criminals whose nationality could not be readily ascertained.
Dr Amoo explained that under normal circumstances the Security apparatus handled kidnap cases discreetly but since the Israelis had already put it out his outfit could not but confirm it when GNA contacted it for confirmation.