Isaac Kwami Gbeve, 25, driver, alleged to be a notorious “night mugger” in Ho was identified by two of his alleged victims among 10 people paraded by the police at an identification parade in Ho on Wednesday.
Gbeve, native of Anlo-Afiadenyigba, was picked up by police on September 27 while asleep at his hideout near the 66 Artillery Regiment Barracks in Ho.
Police described Gbeve as a specialist in waylaying people at night for their phones and other valuables and in the extreme cutting those who resisted with knives or other sharp implements.
Mr Sampson Agbeko, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) and Deputy Regional Crime Officer, said the police had been looking for Gbeve for sometime over several reports of muggings for which he was suspected.
He said the parade was part of police procedures to give victims the opportunity to identify their attackers to enable police proceed with investigations.
Albert Kwadwo Ameko, 61, a victim told the GNA that Gbeve attacked him at the precincts of the public toilet near the Ho Central Market at dawn while he was on his way to attend nature's call.
He said the suspect pinned him to the ground by the throat until he almost choked, before removing a mobile phone and some money from his pocket and then hit his head with the flat side of a cutlass before escaping.
Raymond Adzinor, a student, the second victim, said Gbeve thrust his hand into a taxi he got on at about 1930 hours two months ago, wrenched his mobile phone from him and escaped.
Gbeve muttering “oh God, oh God” as the victims pointed and put their hands on his shoulder denied ever robbing anybody.