Over 80 structures at Agbogbloshie in Accra were razed by fire on Friday morning rendering over 500 residents homeless.
The fire, which was suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault at one of the structures whose occupants were not present at the time of the incident, also destroyed properties worth thousands of new Ghana cedis.
Some of the residents, who were trying to come to terms with the loss, told the Ghana News Agency at the scene of the incident that Fire Service personnel arrived at around 13:20 hours GMT when all their properties had been burnt to ashes.
However, the news team that visited the area gathered that the place was inaccessible and that might have been the cause of the late arrival of the Fire Service to the area.
Residents said the police had visited the scene to ascertain the extent of damage and to maintain law and order.
Looking frustrated because of the unfortunate loss, the residents appealed to government to come to their aid.