28.01.2008 Disaster

Cop Kills Two•At Funeral

By Daily Guide
Listen to article

THE BRONG Ahafo Regional Police Command has arrested and placed in custody General Constable Andrew Yankey, in connection with a shooting incident at Asueyi near Techiman which led to the death of two persons.

The incident, which occurred on Saturday at the funeral of the late Inspector Peter Addae, the 2nd -In-Command of the Dragon Unit of the Brong Ahafo Regional Police where Yankey was a member, also led to two persons sustaining serious injuries.

Briefing the press in Sunyani, the Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) James Oppong-Buanu said Mr. Yankey, who was a member of the Dragon Unit was off-duty that fateful morning.

He said while returning to base from an operation, Yankey and his colleagues decided to pass by the funeral grounds to pay their last respects to their deceased boss.

The Commander continued that during the church service at around 10 am, mourners heard a gunshot outside the church.

It was later found out, according to Mr. Oppong-Buanu, that Yankey had fired his AK47 rifle, hitting four persons including two policemen.

The DCOP said Opanin Kwakye Addae, 75, from Mesidan near Techiman and Opanin Kwaku Nyamekye, 75, from Kenten near Techiman, were both hit in the abdomen, while General Constable Owusu-Ansah of the regional Police Headquarters was injured in the left shoulder and right upper thigh. General Constable Prince Amanianpong from the Wenchi Command had his left middle finger blown off.

All the four injured persons were rushed to the Techiman Holy Family Hospital, where Amanianpong was treated and discharged.

Unfortunately, both Opanin Addae and Opanin Nyamekye died on Saturday around 3pm and Sunday at about 8am respectively.

Gen. Constable Owusu-Ansah who is still on admission is said to be in stable condition and recuperating.

The Regional Commander indicated that Mr. Yankey would be arraigned on Tuesday January 29, 2008 on a provisional charge of murder.

Inspector Peter Addae died on December 25, 2007 in a motor accident while on his way to an operation near Wenchi with two other policemen, who got injured.

DCOP Oppong-Buanu extended his condolence, on behalf of the Inspector-General of Police and the Ghana Police Service, to the bereaved families, and reminded police personnel of their Standing Order which regulated the use of firearms.

He added that it was only the Armed Party which was allowed to fire during such ceremonies.

The Regional Commander stated that the police had started investigations into the incident for the appropriate action to be taken.
From Rocklyn Antonio

ModernGhana Links