Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Are Muslims Victims Or Promoters Of Terrorism?...

body-container-line
03.01.2008 General News

Bawku clash: 12 confirmed killed, more feared dead

By Daily Guide


Twelve persons are reported dead after fresh violence erupted at Bawku in the Upper East Region yesterday follow¬ing a bloody New Year clash between the Mam¬prusis and Kusasis.

Sporadic gunshots could also be heard intermittently throughout the day.

Residents told the media apart from the five deaths recorded at the Bawku Presbyterian Hospital, seven more died on Tuesday but their bodies were not taken to the hospi¬tal.

They said two persons were killed at the New Sta¬tion; three at Natinga, near the hospital and two others died near the Water and Sewerage Office.

This, they said, occurred despite the presence of the Military, who are patrolling the Township in armoured vehicles.

Two of the deceaced were seen lying on the ground whilst the other was dumped in a donkey cart.

The Divisional Crime Officer, Isaac Akligbe led newsmen to the Presbyterian Bawku Hospital mortuary where three bodies had been deposited pending autopsy.

According to Reverend Jacob Wandumsi, Chaplain of the hospital, the deceased were pronounced dead on arrival.

Mr Alhassan Samari, Upper East Regional Minis¬ter, told newsmen on Tues¬day after he had toured the affected areas in the Munic¬ipality to assess the situa¬tion, that 15 people had so far been arrested.

He said they had been charged with possessing unli¬censed weapons, causing dam¬age to a police vehicle and blocking roads, adding that they were in Police custody pending further investigations.

Mr Samari said 165 police personnel were deployed and 150 more would be added. Furthermore, a number of Mil¬itary personnel from the Tamale Air Borne Force would be added to the 70 soldiers already on the ground.

He indicated that check¬points would be mounted at vantage points in the region, particularly in the Bawku area.

body-container-line