FEATURED: Re: Hon. Nenyi George Andah Was Never Hooted At Awutu Awubia Festival...

05.12.2007 Business & Finance

Victim’s hymen still intact – Dr Agbeka

Victim’s hymen still intact – Dr Agbeka

Colonel Dr Chris Kwesi Agbeka, a gynaecologist at the 37th Military Hospital on Tuesday stated at an Accra circuit court that the hymen of the three-year old girl, who was allegedly defiled by a British national was still intact.

He said it was rather the external part of the victim's urethra which was bruised and swollen in addition to the bleeding.

Dr Agbeka was continuing his evidence under cross-examination from Mr Tony Lithur, second Counsel for Thomas Alan Tichler.

The 57-year-old Briton is standing trial for allegedly fingering a three-year-old daughter of his Ghanaian hosts.

Thomas Alan Tichler, a Consultant has been charged with causing harm and indecent assault to the victim. The suspect has been additionally charged with defilement.

He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The Court, presided over by Mrs Georgina Mensah-Datsa adjourned the case to December 12, 2007

Dr Agbeka rejected claims by Defence Counsel that he was influenced excessively in his diagnosis of the victim by the history given to him by the parents of the child.

He said even though there were so many things that could cause trauma, the kind of bleeding he saw from the victim, would be enough suspicion that somebody might have touched her.

He said when the victim was brought to him for examination, the first thing they did was to check her blood level, HP as well as check for any infections.

Detective Chief Inspector Kwasi Atakpalai, the investigator on the case, was also cross-examined by Mr Ellis Owusu Fordjour, lead Counsel for Thomas Alan Tichler.

He said the accused was brought to the Legon Police Station by the parents of the victim for fingering their three-year old daughter.

He said after both had finished writing their statements they issued a medical form to the victim to be sent to hospital.

He said after interrogating the accused they took him to the Legon Hospital for examination but nothing was found on him.

Detective Chief Inspector Atakpalai also stated that Mr Tichler requested that a certain chemical be used on him to ascertain whether he actually inserted his fingers into the vagina of the victim but the hospital noted they did not have such a chemical.

The facts of the case are that Tichler visited the victim's father at North Legon, near the Redco Flats on October 13, 2007. The victim's father left the victim and her two siblings in the care of Tichler to purchase some items from town.

Tichler decided to play with the victim and her two siblings, aged eight and six, in the living room but he later managed to get the victim alone and proceeded to insert his fingers into her genitals.

Not long after, the victim's mother arrived from town and just as she entered the kitchen, Tichler followed her and requested for water to wash his hands.

Later, the victim went to her mother and said she wanted to urinate and while helping her, the mother noticed bloodstains in the victim's panties.

The victim mentioned the accused person as the one who inserted his fingers into her genitals when her mother questioned her.