A parade of very distinguished personalities is contesting the NPP nomination for the presidential election. However, upon careful examination of all the candidates' profile, one would come to realize that only one candidate, Hackman Owusu Agyemang, stands out on the basis of his superb achievements and accomplishments.
First, he has proven to be a very competent and tested administrator in the Kuffour administration, serving as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Interior, and Minister of Water, Housing and Works. He is a true party man who has served the party well and helped shape it. In addition, his experience in international diplomacy will be valuable asset to the presidency.
• At the Foreign Affairs ministry he used his savvy foreign policy and diplomacy to propel Ghana as a beacon of hope in Africa. Hackman has had tremendous experience in foreign affairs prior to his ministerial appointments, serving as a senior administrator with the UN/FAO where he provided oversight responsibilities in several countries including several African nations. He has utilized his expertise and experience in the foreign services to uplift the image of the country and its people. He revolutionized the ministry by recruiting several young qualified professionals into the Foreign Service and elevated several career diplomats as Ambassadors to complement political appointees. Ghana needs such individual to steer the nation's foreign policy.
• At the Ministry of Interior, Hackman tackled explosive issues such the Dagbon crisis and stemmed the escalation of armed robbery in the country. He restructured the Immigration, the Police, Fire and the Prison Services. Bottlenecks within the Police Service were removed that paved the way to recruit over 5,000 young personnel into the Police Service to combat armed robbery. New Police vehicles were made available to help strengthen the Police Service.
• At the Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing, Hackman Owusu Agyemang initiated over 4,500 housing projects countrywide for low to middle income working Ghanaians. In addition, over 4,400 boreholes were sunk countrywide, and he implemented 61 water projects in small towns to provide water for the people, particularly in the rural areas.
As the saying goes, “he who has been successful with ten talents will be entrusted with ten more.” Hackman has been successful as a minister and he can be trusted with the nation. He has often been dubbed “the action man” for his productivity, and the country needs such an outstanding and dedicated individual who is competent and very effective.
Secondly, Hackman is a Party man with unflinching loyalty to the party. He is one of the founding members of the NPP, and has served as the national treasurer of the party, a member of the National Executive Committee and the National Council member. In addition, he has also served on several party committees including the NPP Finance, Organization and Agricultural Sector committees. He understands what the party stands for as well as the future aspirations of the party. Hackman Owusu Agyemang's loyalty and personal contributions to the New Patriotic Party is an open book for all to see.
Thirdly, among all the aspiring presidential candidates with MP status, Hackman Owusu Agyemang can be proud to say that he has done most for his constituency more than any other. He has achieved the most in terms of development and employment creation for his constituency. Additionally, Hackman Owusu Agyeman opted for his MP salary to be paid into the Hackman Foundation, the bedrock for his sterling community's enhancement in the New Juaben North Constituency. Charity begins at home, Hackman has been able to deliver for his constituency and there is every indication he will deliver for the nation as well.
Hackman is an independent thinker, a fiercely and fearless politician not afraid to take on the establishment. He is the one who can move the nation in the right direction and bring prosperity to the people.
Hackman has demonstrated by his actions that he is:
• A very competent and tested administrator having served efficiently and effectively in 3 ministerial positions in the Kuffour Administration
• An experienced and shrewd politician who can tackle national issues.
• A hardworking former minister who has and can deliver low-cost housing and water to the people
• A selfless politician who has been a financial backbone for the party.
• An extraordinary party leader whose commitment to the party compares to such personalities as President Kuffour, James Da Rocha, Appiah Menka, and Dr.
Kwame Sarfo Adu.
This is the time to recognize Hackman's experience, tenacity, and hard work as well as his deeds for the party and the nation. In light of the above it is prudent and expedient to elect Hackman as the flag bearer to lead the party and the nation.
By Dr. David Yamoah, New Jersey