Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Are Muslims Victims Or Promoters Of Terrorism?...

23.11.2007 General News

Unemployed remanded over visa fraud


A Kumasi Circuit Court has remanded into prison custody an unemployed youngman, Joseph Darko, for allegedly defrauding a female laboratory assistant in Kumasi of an amount of GH¢15,000 (¢150million) under the pretext of acquiring a visa for her, marrying her and sending her abroad.

Darko, who pleaded not guilty to the charge, admitted taking GH¢4,900 (¢49million) from one Judith, the complainant and explained that he had used the money to trade.

He would re-appear before the court on January 11, 2008.

Prosecuting, Police Chief Inspector Comfort Baffour-Kyei told the court presided over by Madam Wilhemina Hammond, that Darko, the accused person between the years of 2006 and 2007 took various sums of money from the complainant after he had succeeded in convincing her that he just retuned from the United States and was capable of taking her abroad.

In October 2006, he managed to take GH¢1,500 (¢15 million) from the complainant, with whom an amorous relationship had commenced, to sort out a problem with the US Embassy.

He added that the money was also a part payment of the total sum needed to process the necessary documents.

Two weeks after taking the first amount, Darko again collected GH¢1,000 (¢10million) from Judith purportedly to start processing the documents.

Such tricks continued till the money added up to GH¢15,000 (¢150 million) in March, 2007 and after awhile, he pleaded with Judith to give him an extra GH¢1,000 (¢10million) to enable him travel abroad since he could not take her there as promised, but would settle her later when he got to the US.

The complainant however could not provide the amount and Darko also went into hiding till his arrest.

In a related development, Yaw Adjei, a driver was granted bail in the sum of GH¢10,000 (¢100million) with one surety to be justified by a Kumasi Circuit Court presided over by Mr E. Y. Obimpe.

The facts were not given but the driver was said to have driven recklessly knocking down three persons.

He would re-appear before the court on December 11.