The University of Ghana Hospital in Legon, is investigating an incident in which 35 students of the University have suffered food poisoning.
The students, some of whom were initially hospitalized were rushed to the Hospital with stomach cramps after taking “Waakye” at the night market located near the International Students Hostel on Monday and Tuesday.
Hospital sources told GNA that the Hospital had instructed the “Waakye” seller to stop selling until the investigations were over.
The source also hinted that samples of the food and faecal samples of both the affected students and the seller had since been sent to the Diagnostic Laboratory of the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research for investigations which should be completed by today.
After the diagnostic investigations have been completed, the Hospital would then decide on the next line of action which would include a medical check-up and strict enforcement of food safety precautions by all food vendors on the University campus.
Information gathered by GNA at the night market revealed that students have not been heeding to the Student Representative Council's directive to stop consuming “Waakye” at night.