ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: Re: Hon. Nenyi George Andah Was Never Hooted At Awutu Awubia Festival...

body-container-line-1
28.04.2007 Disaster

Man electrocuted in Winneba

By GNA

Mr. Isaac Annobil, aged 60 was on Thursday electrocuted when he accidentally stepped on a live electricity wire at Winneba-Zongo.

According to Mr. Nicholas Gasu, Deputy Superintendent of police in-charge of Winneba, some neighbours of the area claimed that when they woke up at about 0600 hours on Thursday they found Annobil lying dead near a wire.

He said the body has been deposited at the government hospital mortuary for autopsy while police investigations continue.

Mr. Isaac Botwe, Winneba District Branch Manager of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) told the GNA in another interview that on Wednesday, there was a black out in the Winneba township on Wednesday night following the load shedding.

He said investigation he had conducted revealed that during the night some cable thieves in their attempt to steal the wires cut a sizable portion of the street light wire in the Zongo area but when they later found it was not copper wire they left it there.

According to him when the power was restored around 0600 hours the following day, Annobil might have accidentally stepped on it and got electrocuted.

He said his outfit has disconnected the street light at that point, while further investigations are being conducted in the matter.

He further said stealing of wire during black out is on ascendancy in the area and have therefore appealed to the people to help arrest the culprits.

Source: GNA

body-container-line