FEATURED: Why Are Black People Obsessed With The Bible That Was Used To Enslave ...

19.04.2007 General News

Police arrest Atronie Queenmother


The Queenmother of Atronie, Nana Wirekoaa Afriyie, has been arrested from her hideout at Penkwasi, a suburb of Sunyani.

Nana Afriyie and other suspects fled the town after the murder of Mr Anthony Yeboah-Boateng, Presiding Member of Asunafo North District Assembly on Easter Sunday, April 8.

Chief Superintendent of Police, Christian Tetteh Yohuno, Sunyani Municipal Police Commander disclosed to the GNA that Nana Afriyie was arrested following a police announcement on the radio to the public to assist in arresting her and other suspects in the murder.

He explained that on Monday, April 16, Nana Afriyie from her hideout sent one Adwoa Addai, her sister in-law to a businessman in Sunyani for some money for her upkeep.

The Commander said an informant alerted the police who quickly arrested the bearer to locate Nana Afriyie.

He said Adwoa led the police to the house but Nana Afriyie could not be found but on Wednesday April 18, the police acting on a tip-off that she had returned to the house rushed there and arrested her.

Police Chief Superintendent, Yohuno gave assurance that the police would not relent in its efforts to arrest all suspects that fled Atronie after the incident.

The late Mr Yeboah-Boateng, also Administrator of Goaso Government Hospital was attacked and killed at about 9:30 pm on Easter Sunday by the youth at Atronie in his car.

The police have so far arrested about 70 suspects in connection with the case.

Meanwhile the Brong Ahafo Regional House of Chiefs has condemned the murder of Mr Yeboah-Boateng, saying the act had brought shame to the region.

In a communiqué issued at the end of their first emergency meeting in Sunyani, the chiefs said "The atrocious crime perpetrated by some disgruntled youth of Atronie had brought shame not only on the people but the region as a whole.”

The chiefs condemned "The barbaric act in which Mr Yeboah-Boateng, a young man full of potentials was clubbed to death in such a manner, in spite of his attempt to explain his innocence."

The communiqué, signed by Mr S. R. Takyi, Brong Ahafo Regional Registrar of Chiefs, cautioned the youth, the people in the region and Ghana as a whole against indulging in any form of instant justice on alleged offenders.

The chiefs advised the youth to respect the laws of the country to prevent a recurrence of the incident and appealed to the security agencies to expedite action on the case to arrest and prosecute the perpetrators.

They expressed their condolences to the wife, children and bereaved family for "Their irreparable loss".

Source: GNA