Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Are Muslims Victims Or Promoters Of Terrorism?...

body-container-line
13.04.2007 Obituaries

Burnt ECG Worker Passes Away

Burnt ECG Worker Passes Away

One of the technicians of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) who suffered severe burns from the recent blast in Tema has died at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.

The deceased, Mr James Narh Alorbu, an Assistant Foreman/Switch Attendant at the Tema Regional Office of the ECG, was undertaking a routine switching at the main Station H behind the Tema Oil Refinery (TOR) with three other colleagues when they were caught up in the explosion which engulfed the circuit breaker which served Tema and Ashaiman.

Two of them were treated and discharged at the Tema General Hospital, while Mr Alorbu and one other person who sustained severe burns were rushed to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital. Alorbu died last Tuesday, April 10, 2007.

The explosion was caused by the disruption of the 33KV underground cable by saboteurs a fortnight ago in which one of the alleged cable thieves died.

A statement by the ECG said the managing director of the company, Mr Jude Osafo Adu-Amankwah, had expressed condolence to the bereaved family, the director and the entire staff of the Tema Regional Office of the ECG.

It said the company had lost one of its rare technicians and described the explosion as a very unfortunate incident to cause the death of such a dedicated member of staff.

The statement said the Tema Regional Director of the ECG, Dr N. K. Smart-Yeboah, expressed sorrow at the death of Mr Alorbu, whom he described as a quiet person, hardworking and frank.

β€œHe was a dependable staff member and noted for always speaking his mind,” it said.

Mr Alorbu was appointed as an Artisan/Switch Board Attendant on August 10, 1984 and rose to his current rank in April 2004.

body-container-line