ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: Re: Hon. Nenyi George Andah Was Never Hooted At Awutu Awubia Festival...

body-container-line-1
06.04.2007 Business & Finance

Unrest at Ghana Post

By myjoyonline

There is growing unrest and bad blood between workers of Ghana Post and management over a ¢12 billion workers' contribution.

The workers' contribution known as the Provident Fund has been in existence for the past 10 years. Since the inception of the Provident Fund, workers contribute seven percent of their total salary to the fund whilst Ghana Post makes a top up of two percent.

Since December last year, there has been growing agitation within the Union of Ghana Post and Management over what the union terms as the inability of management to account for the 12 billion.

Some workers who spoke to The Independent stated that, management has made a 40 percent part payment of the contributions leaving 60 per cent, which amounts to over ¢12 billion.

Leadership of the Accra main Ghana Post Local Union have also accused Ghana Post management of being lackadaisical at accounting for the ¢12 billion balance of the workers' contribution.

“We have made several calls on management to account for our money but our calls have not been heeded to. Persistent calls for auditors to audit the provident fund has been sabotaged by management,” a Union member of Ghana Post told The Independent.

Ghana Post workers have also accused management of non-payment of their Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) contributions for the past two years.

"Many retired workers have had their SSNIT benefits withheld due to the failure of management to pay their SSNIT contributions," a worker said.

The workers have also called for the dissolution of the board of Ghana Post and the removal of their management. To Press home their demands, workers have held several rallies at the Accra Main Ghana Post offices. At a similar rally last Tuesday, angry workers were seen chanting war songs and calling for the head of the General Manager of Ghana Post, Kofi Adu-Adonteng.

When contacted, the General Manager of Ghana Post in-charge of Corporate Communications, K.A. Otuo-Achearnpong said "the workers have no case."

Mr. Otuo-Acheanlpong told the paper that the monies from the Provident Fund have been invested into the expansion and operations of Ghana Post.

He said the workers were duly consulted before the money was used. "The management of the company met the Union leaders for close to two hours at the MD's office on Monday where their grievances were addressed. We're surprised they are still making noise," he said.

The Ghana Post Head of Corporate Communications also said management has pleaded with workers for time to pay back the 12 billion cedis Provident Fund balance to them.

The Independent's said its investigation has revealed that some staff of Ghana Post have embezzled some monies from the Ghana Post Instant Money Transfer operations.

Sources say this is because the Instant Money Transfer operation has not been networked nationwide.

Information reaching The Independent indicates that, Ghana Post had a 12 billion cedis working capital in 1985 when it separated with Ghana Telecom. However whilst Ghana Telecom seems to be on top of its problems the fortunes of Ghana Post is rather dwindling.

For about two years now Ghana Post has not been declaring dividend to government.

body-container-line