The Ashanti Regional Police Command has cautioned residents of the Kumasi metropolis to take preventable measures in their efforts to help stem the tide of the incidence of fire outbreaks in recent times.
The warning comes in the wake of two severe fire outbreaks which razed through the Kumasi Central Market and the Carpenters' Workshops at Anloga last week, causing extensive damage to properties worth several millions of cedis.
A statement signed by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Jordan Quaye of the Ashanti Regional Police Public Relations Unit and issued in Kumasi on Wednesday, called on residents who use gas for cooking to always ensure that house helps and children are effectively educated on safety measures to avoid fire outbreaks.
“Same should be done for users of household gadgets such as pressing irons, heaters, among others”, the statement said.
It noted that people who want to fix electrical wiring or gadgets in their homes, stores, shops, offices and malls should seek expert advice from the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) or engage the services of reputable electrical engineering firms to guarantee their security and safety.
The statement called on land ladies and market queens, as a matter of urgency, to contact the ECG to review their electrical fixtures en masse to correct illicit connections and unprofessional electrical works that may cause more fire outbreaks.
“All farmers, hunters, tourists, forest sight seers, lumber workers, drivers in the forest areas who smoke or ignite fire for good purposes should ensure they properly quench cigarette butts and furnaces respectively after use”, the statement further cautioned.