Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Are Muslims Victims Or Promoters Of Terrorism?...

body-container-line
06.03.2007 General News

Deadlock over disbursement of royalty resolved

By myjoyonline
A protracted misunderstanding between two traditional councils in the Western Region over royalties from the Chirano Gold Mines has been resolved.

This followed a meeting called by Mr Patrick Amoah, the Western Regional Administrator of Stool Lands, among the paramount chiefs of the Sefwi-Wiawso, Sefwi-Anhwiaso, District Chief Executive for Bibiani-Anhwiaso-Bekwai and Sefwi-Wiawso as well as the management of the Gold Mine at Chirano.

The mining company had released 700 million cedis in two tranches to be paid as royalties to the two traditional councils on whose lands the company's concessions are located, the first of which was released in September 2006.

The two parties have since been embroiled in a dispute over who should benefit from a larger amount.

Whilst Nana Nkoa Kodom, Omanhene of Sefwi-Wiawso wanted a chunk of the amount on grounds of owning a larger portion of the concession, Ogyeahoho Nana Yaw Gyebi II, Omanhene of Sefwi-Anhwiaso, insisted that the amount be shared equally between the two parties.

As a result of the impasse, the money has been in the possession of the Western Regional Administrator of Stool Lands pending the settlement of the dispute.

The agreement was that the Sefwi-Wiawso Traditional Council should have 55 per cent of the amount with the remaining 45 per cent going to Sefwi-Anhwiaso.

Mr John Seaward, the General Manager of Chirano Gold Mines, commended the two traditional councils for exhibiting a high sense of maturity in their deliberations and expressed the hope that the mutual respect for each other would be maintained in subsequent years to enable the company to operate in an atmosphere of peace and understanding.

GNA

body-container-line