The Ministry of Health on Friday appealed to health workers to remain at post and work according to duty rosters prepared by supervisory staff, warning that a resort to any strike action, including work to rule, is illegal.
“Consequences of strike action are covered by the new labour law and it is the ministry's intention to enforce the law fully,” a statement signed by Lepowura M.N.D. Jawula, Chief Director, said.
The statement said the attention of the ministry had been drawn to threats of strike action by a section of health workers, apparently over salary issues.
“The information, if accurate, would be unfortunate indeed because the ministry in particular and government have made the extra effort to enhance the salaries of all health workers.”
It said the Appellate Body of Experts that examined all issues on distortions in salary had said their report would be ready by March 30, 2007.
“At the last meeting held at the National Labour Commission on Wednesday February 28, 2007, at which the full membership of the Health Workers Group was present, it was agreed that the leadership of the Health Workers should convey the outcome of the meeting to their members and prevail upon them to exercise restraint while the targeted date of 30th March, 2007 is awaited.”
The statement said on Thursday, a group of health workers was seen in Accra moving from one health installation to the other canvassing health workers to embark on strike and some workers were even threatened.
“The Ministry of Health and Ghana Health Service will monitor these illegal operations and ensure that the law takes its course.
“Regional Directors and Health Supervisors throughout the country are requested to submit to the Ministry of Health through the Director-General of the Ghana Heath Service duly marked duty rosters indicating attendance at work.”
The statement said steps should be taken to ensure that all health workers were given adequate protection to go about their legitimate duties in the national interest without intimidation.