ModernGhana logo
04.01.2007 General News

Month Old Baby Burnt To Death

By Kingsley E. Hope, Sunyani
Listen to article

A MONTH-OLD baby boy was burnt to death when a kiosk in which he was sleeping caught fire early on Tuesday, at Sunyani Area Two.
The fire was so intense that the baby’s mother, identified only as Akua, was forced to retreat in her attempt to rescue her child and received severe facial burns.
The cause of the blaze was not immediately known. The GNFS is investigating.
The Times learnt that the kiosk was rented by the baby’s father, Kofi Bashiru, about nine months ago.
Mr Bashiru said he and his wife had since been using it, adding that the fire outbreak was mysterious to him because 'I have never lit a candle there since I rented it. Besides, it had no electricity.'
He said at about 10 a.m., that morning, his wife was washing clothes outside when some people drew her attention to the fire.
'Before we could move in, the entire kiosk had been engulfed by the fire,' he said.