The New Patriotic Party (NPP) branch in Germany has applauded the government over what it says are major achievements since taking over from the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
In a press release issued by the group, it says it has no doubt the NPP government will do more to drive the country forward.
Amongst the achievements touted in the press release, the NPP Germany commends government for introducing a pension scheme for cocoa farmers and embarking on many interventions to transform agriculture in the country.
Below is the NPP Germany press release:
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE NPP GOVERNMENT -PART ONE
Good morning Ghana. Welcome to a new year under the leadership of His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo. Before we begin achieving some greater promises this year, let us recount our achievements from the previous years. Enjoy this series…
1. Inflation has been reduced from 15.4% in 2017 to 10.4% at the end of 2021
2. Reduced average lending rates from 32% in 2017 to 21% in 2021.
3. The average exchange rate depreciation over the last four years (7.3%) is the lowest for any first term government since 1992. The year 2020 recorded the lowest rate of depreciation in the last 28 years.
4. Cleaned up the mess in the financial sector that we inherited and saved the deposits of 4.6 million depositors.
5. Ghana has been consistently one of the fastest growing economies in the world for each of the last four years, notwithstanding the decline of GDP growth to 0.9% in 2020 as a result of COVID-19.
6. For the first time in over two decades, the trade balance (the difference between what we export and what we import) recorded a surplus for four consecutive years from 2017- 2021.
7. Ghana’s Gross International Reserves increased from $6.1 billion (3.5 months of imports) in 2017 to $8.6 billion in 2020 (4.1 months of imports).
8. Successfully exited the IMF program
9. Ghana’s sovereign credit rating upgraded from B- in 2017 to B with a stable outlook. First upgrade in 10 years
10. Planting for Food and Jobs has increased food production. It has led to a 71% increase in the national production of maize and 34% in paddy rice.
11. The Global Food Security Index, which measures affordability, availability and quality of food across 113 countries, placed Ghana in 59th position in 2019, up from 78th position in 2016.
12. Introduced a pension scheme for cocoa farmers. The first of such scheme since independence.
13. Established a Tree Crop Development Authority with a focus on mango, cashew, rubber, oil palm, shea and coconut.
This and many more has been achieved in the various facets of our country’s economy and the NPP government is ready to do more to put our nation forward.
God bless the president and all government workers. God bless the people of Ghana.
Nana Osei Boateng
Npp Germany Branch Communications Director.