The Western Regional Youth Wing welcomes the president to our dear region to embark on face serving sod cutting ceremonies in the various constituencies. It is increasingly embarrassing of the failures of the NPP government to the people of Western Region. We are unimpressed about this political gymnastics especially four months to 2020 general elections. The government is not only treated western region with disdain, but his recent sod cutting ceremony to construct Kejebril-Mpohor-Adum Bamso Road on 1st June, 2018 remains deplorable and unconstructed. The chiefs and people of Mpohor are highly disappointed in the president’s inability to come and ‘commission’ the road barely four months to 2020 general elections. Another case of political deception.
Instead of you to be commissioning projects in promised in your 2016 manifesto to show case your achievements after almost four years in office, you are rather involved in deceptive sod-cutting spree to bail your glaring electoral defeat that awaits you in 2020 general elections. Ghanaians are well awake and will fall for yet another scam.
There are so much despondency and disappointment among the teeming youth of the Western Region. Even the rank and file of the NPP lack enthusiasm and loses hope for the future in your deceitful government. This is considered as a vote of no confidence on the government performance. To the people of Western Region, it is pointless to launch 2020 manifesto without honouring the social contract to the region. The people of Western Region bemoaned several unfulfilled campaign promises and vow to hold the president accountable on 7th December, 2020. The following failed promises readily come to mind:
- Failure to construct fertilizer Plant in Jomoro (Nzemaland) to improve farming yields as promised by the president.
- Failure to give 1 million dollars to each constituency every year. We therefore demand 4 million dollars to each of the constituencies for the four years.
- Failure to construct a factory in each district of the region.
- Failure to dualize Takoradi-Sekondi Road as promised by Candidate Nana Akufo Addo.
- Failure to expand the Takoradi Harbour to Sekondi.
- Failure to establish a public university in Sekondi as promised by the Member of Parliament.
- Failure to modernize the market circle in Takoradi within four years from 2017 to 2020 as promised.
- Failure to construct an interchange at Nkrumah Roundabout (AGIP) in Takoradi as captured in his 2019 state of the nation address.
- Failure to move GNPC Headquarters from Accra to Takoradi within two years on assumption of office.
- Failure to build an Accident and Emergency Centre as contained in the 2016 NPP manifesto.
- Failure to use revenue from the many resources abundant in the Western region to develop Sekondi-Takoradi into “the oil and gas hub for Ghana”
- Failure to institute a Wassa Mineral Development Fund to help the people in the Wassa mining areas as promised to the chiefs in the Wassa Area.
- Failure to construct gold refinery at Prestea to improve the local economy and provide jobs for the youth as promised by Nana Akufo Addo.
- Failure to construct five new district hospitals in the Western Region to reduce pressure on the already existing facilities per his promise to the Regional House of Chiefs.
- Failure to honour his promise to the chiefs to revive the Bonsatyre and Aboso glass factories that has been abandoned for years.
- Failure to increase mineral royalties to 10 percent for chiefs in mining areas as his covenant to the chiefs in the Western Region.
Perhaps, the biggest disappointment in this government is the fathom and deceptive fight against galamsey menace in the region. It is embarrassing that high level government officials got involved in the illegal mining under the pretext of combatting it. The bribery case involving Charles Bissue as exposed by Anas Arimeyaw Anas of Tyger Eye Fame remain mind boggling to many people in the Western Region. Where are the ‘missing excavators’ and ‘gold bars’ seized during the operation vanguard in the Western Region?
The lukewarm attitude exhibited by the president towards the ‘Missing Takoradi Girls’ and subsequent disclosure of their death by the CID is insensitive and unacceptable. The greatest disservice to the people of Sekondi-Takoradi was your refusal to visit the family to empathize with them any time you visit the region. We see this as dereliction of your responsibility as the Commander in Chief who swore to protect and provide security to every Ghanaian. We are once again disappointed THE PRESIDENT could not quiz time to visit the families of the kidnapped girls in his recent tour of the region.
The Western Region has turned their despondency into optimism for the NDC and the second coming of His Excellency, John Dramani Mahama, the nation builder. The NDC governments have been a trail blazer when it comes developmental projects in the Region. The records of NDC government in the region are unmatched and superior. The following enviable achievements are there for everybody to see:
- Atuabo Gas Processing Plant in Nzema providing over 2,000 direct and indirect employment.
- Quantum Terminals Limited for Liquefied Petroleum Gas for domestic use, creating 0ver 1,000 jobs for the youth.
- Albert Bosomtwi Fishing Harbour Phase 2 in Sekondi, which generated jobs for the unemployed youth.
- Western Diamond Cement Ltd at Egyam-Bokro in Ahanta West District.
- Twyford Ceramics Factory in Shama.
- Wangkang Ghana Ceramic Company at Essiem near Kojokrom.
- Cocoa Processing Factory at Mpintsim near Kojokrom.
- Shama District Cold Store.
- Inauguration of TEN Field Oil for the start of Oil Production-Second FPSO.
- Construction of Tarkwa Municipal Hospital.
- Takoradi Harbour Expansion Project.
- Abuesi Sea Defence Project.
- Sekondi Sea Defence Project.
- Aboadze Sea Defence Project.
- 80 KM asphaltic overlay Sekondi-Takoradi and its environs.
- Apemanim–Elubo Road.
- Asankragwa-Enchi Road.
- Tarkwa-Bogoso-Akropong Road.
- Nkroful-Apremdo dual carriage Road.
- Asphalting of District, Municipal and Metro Capital Roads in Western Region.
- Sekondi-Takoradi Railway Lines to ease traffic congestion on the roads.
- Ultra-modern Railway stations at Kojokrom, Sekondi and Takoradi.
- 251-Room Hostel for University of Mines and Technology at Tarkwa.
- Construction of Takoradi Library Complex.
- Construction of Youth Centre at Sekondi.
- Construction of Teachers’ Resource Centre at Sekondi.
- Construction of Artisan Garages at Kokompe Industrial Enclave in Takoradi.
- Construction of Integrated Social Centre at Effiakuma (NOW EKMA OFFICES).
- Construction of 36 staff apartments for doctors, nurses and other health workers at European Hospital (Abandoned by NPP government).
- Construction of Community Senior High Schools at Sankor in Ahanta West, Gwira in Nzema East Municipality, Samreboi in Amenfi West and Manso in Amenfi Central.
The Regional Youth Wing, on behalf the people of western region, demands unqualified apology from the president for his numerous failed promises. The Western Regional House of Chiefs does not deserve to be deceived by the president. His face serving sod cutting ceremonies is a ploy for deceptive, political gimmick and it is too late for the government. Ghanaians are well awake and would not fall again for another political deception and lies. Never again should lies, deceits and deception take a center stage our political dispensation.
The people of the Western Region have therefore, resolved to give His Excellency, John Dramani Mahama, resounding endorsement on 7th December, 2020.The lack of enthusiasm that heralded your visit should be a signal to you that the people of the Western Region have decided to reject your government in the 2020 general elections.
George Dadzie Jnr.
Western Regional Youth Organizer
ALL MEDIA HOUSES