Government is to construct 836 houses of various types under a phase-out programme for about 10,000 people whose houses were destroyed during the execution of the Keta Sea Defence Project.
Eighty-five houses have been completed and allocated at Kedzi, Vodza and Adzido since last year, Mr Hackman Owusu-Agyemang, Minister for Water Resources, Works and Housing, told Parliament yesterday.
He announced this when he answered question posed by Mr Dan Abodakpi, MP for Keta, on what plans he had to complete the housing scheme for Vodza and Kedzi. He said 100 houses were completed in 2003 under Phase One of the Project and an additional 344 houses under Phase Two were on contract at Kedzi, Vodza and Adzido, which were at various stages of completion. According to the Minister, as at July 21, 2006 a total of 185 houses had been completed in the three communities.
On a question asked by Mr Mohammed Issifu Pangabu, MP for Ejura Sekyere Odumasi, on when the drainage in Mempe Asem and Kotokoli Line would be constructed, Mr Owusu-Agyemang said the Hydrological Services Department had been directed to assess the situation and report to the Ministry for further action.
The Minister, who also answered questions on the Kwanyako Water System, said output of the plant was being expanded with the construction of an additional treatment plant to pump more than 4.6 million gallons a day. He said the Project was mainly to increase the water supply capacity to meet expected demand by 2015, adding that the overall progress of the work being funded by the Netherlands Government was about 65 per cent complete.
Mr Owusu-Agyemang said the Ghana Water Company Limited in the short-term was to source funds under the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) budget to improve extension and distribution of water for Swedru, Aboso, Benso, Akroful, Akropong and Nyarkrom.
Other communities to benefit from the project are Kwanyako, Senya Baraku, Obrachire, Bawjiase, Buduburam, Odoben and Kuntanase.