10.07.2006 League Report

Feyenoord Beat Kotoko 2-0

By Graphic
Listen to article

Kumasi Asante Kotoko suffered a 0-2 defeat to Feyenoord Academy at Gomoa Fetteh last Saturday as part of their preparations towards this weekend's CAF Champions League match with JSK of Algeria.

The Porcupine Warriors conceded both goals in the second half when Coach E. K. Afranie decided to introduce fresh limbs to replace his first team.

The Feyenoord lads, who had hitherto been matched by their opponents in the first half, suddenly found their rhythm in this half and were rightly rewarded two minutes after recess when Nafiu Iddrisu displaced goalkeeper Eric Nii Baah from the spot.

Accra-based class one referee, Thomas Nunoo, awarded the penalty kick after hard-pressed substitute Kenneth Ababio pushed down Iddi Yekini in the box.

Kotoko who were unfamiliar with the synthetic pitch, however, reacted swiftly and nearly drew par after 55 minutes, but substitute Douglas Nkrumah missed target from close range with only keeper Kojo Lawome to beat.

In the 66th minute, the Feyenoord goalkeeper came to his side's rescue again by saving Ahmed Toure's goal-bound effort.

Let off the hook, Feyenoord had the last laugh when Nafiu finished off a beautiful two-man move with Yekini three minutes from the end.

Kotoko nearly got a face-saving goal a minute later, but agile goalkeeper Lawome stretched full limit to save a surprise long shot from substitute Osei Akoto.

The two teams are scheduled to meet again at Fetteh today on a natural pitch.

Before then, Kotoko had beaten relegated Kade Hotpurs 2-0 in a similar warm-up match at the Oda Stadium last Friday.

Young enterprising defender, Michael Ofosu Appiah, got the opener for Kotoko through a freekick, while Mark Adu Amoah who has just returned from trials in South Africa put Hotspurs beyond recovery later in the game.

Meanwhile, players and officials of Kotoko will leave Accra for Algeria tomorrow evening via Italy.

Story by Samuel Ebo Kwaitoo.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter