In my previous post I stated that “it takes sacrifice to succeed in life”. Few minutes later, someone sent me a text asking me about what are those sacrifices, he will love to learn my ways.
In order to succeed as an entrepreneur, here are the TOP 10 sacrifices to consider/Prioritize. Note, this is what I practiced.
1. AVOID BEING MATERIALISTIC: What do you I mean by this? There is this popular belief that the more big phones, flashy dresses, heavy gadgets and having a car etc makes you a man or a woman is actually a fallacy. It’s good to have them but the appropriate time of having them is crucial. As a start-up you can’t afford to consider this over your business.
2. STOP WOMANIZING: This looks funny, but this actually can kill your dream and collapse your business or divert your attention if not stopped. This is why I have actually put it at the top of all priorities. Whether you like it or not, womanizing comes with a cost that you must be prepared to pay. This cost should be best channeled to your business start-up or growth.
3. PICK YOUR LIFE PARTNER: This is very tricky, but it has the tendency to pave the way for greater things in the business. The woman has to buy into your vision and has to understand how your expenditure life is going to be. I am not saying you should be “stingy” in relationship but know how to ones in a while enjoy life together. The potential woman must abide by No. 1, 2, and any other priorities established for the sake of the business to survive. Note that, there is more to enjoy after you have both achieved the ultimate.
4. AVOID PARTY-PARTY, EXCESSIVE DRINKING, AND LIMIT NO. OF FRIENDS TO HAVE: The fact is, the journey of entrepreneurship is not a joking arena. You can’t mixed it with the above if you want to succeed. You have to trade one for the other. The choice is yours.
5. CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL EXPENDITURE: This particular point has thought me a lot of lessons. I sometimes asked myself whether I am part of this world. Do you know, I have limited boxers ? Limited singlets? Limited dresses? 2 Canvases, etc. in fact everything of mine is limited. It is not because I can’t buy but it is because I don’t need them at the moment. What I need is the business and how to build the empire I want. Do not be ruled by what other people will say. Your business start up or growth should be “directly proportional” to your thoughts, but not the of thoughts of others.
6. DEDICATE TIME FOR YOUR GOD: We all have our belief system and the kind of God we worship via Christianity, Islamic, or African Traditional Religion. Whichever you believe in, call on him to protect you, and your business.
7. LEARN TO SAY NO: In many instances we get approached by family members or some others for financial assistance or come party, or visit social places when you actually know that accepting this offer at this time will affect your business strength. Learn to say NO and later if there is the need to reconsider it, then you have too. You are not being rude, the fact is you can’t meet that demand. Better still if someone asked you for assuming GHS 1000.00 help, learn not to offer all the assistance but offer him/her 20-30% of that.
8. SAVE AGAINST TOMORROW: I won’t explain this, but failure to do so; it means you will be hit hard when there is an external shocks like Pandemics (what is happening with COVID 19), Sickness of you or love one, etc.
9. INVEST IN YOUR WOMAN: Yes, I said invest in your woman. Initially I said your woman should also act like you or believe in the dream and also support your priorities. But you know what, there is a popular saying that, “Body No Be Firewood”. Don’t be stingy, and also I am not saying you should be flashy by buying her expensive stuffs. The most important thing here is, she should be good looking and all her basics should be sorted out. If you have to sacrifice yours for hers, you can do that. Whiles the woman believed in you, it’s crucial that she don’t get carried away by other females looks.
10. CUT OFF EXTERNAL PRESSURES FROM YOUR EXTENDED FAMILY: I won’t explain this further. Or you want me too? Hahahha wait for it in my book titled “ The Journey of Entrepreneurship 101”
Vozbeth K. Azumah
Director of My Community Farm Project
Agotime - Ziope District, Kpetoe, Ghana