Do you think that acne can only develop on your face? Well, we’re sorry to tell you that you are wrong. Acne can develop on different parts of the body, including your shoulders. Men tend to suffer from shoulder acne more than women.
Like acne on your face , shoulder acne occurs when dead skin, excess natural oil (sebum) and other impurities inflame the hair follicles on your shoulders. Bacteria can also get stuck in your pores and cause acne.
Shoulder acne can be painful, as the pores are larger on this part of the body, which means the pimples can be bigger. Also, there can be other symptoms like redness and swelling.
Several factors can contribute to the formation of acne on the shoulders. Some common causes are hormonal changes in the body, wearing tight clothes during workouts, living in a hot and humid area, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), use of greasy cosmetics or skin care products, and use of certain drugs. In some cases, acne on the shoulder can appear after a laser treatment, shaving or waxing.
People who are obese, diabetic or have a weak immune system also are more susceptible to acne.
Dealing with shoulder acne is not rocket science. There are many simple and easy ways to correct the problem.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of shoulder acne.
1. Good Skin Care
When you have shoulder acne, it can be a sign that you are not taking proper care of your skin. Hence, as a preventive measure and to treat the problem, it is important to take good care of your skin .
2. Warm Compress
A warm compress can help you get rid of shoulder acne quickly. The warm temperature will draw out bacteria and pus from the clogged skin pores, which will accelerate the healing process.
Also, a warm compress will help reduce pain and inflammation.
To use a warm compress to treat shoulder acne, you may need help from others depending on where exactly the acne is.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of table salt into 2 cups of warm water.
- Soak a washcloth in it and wring out the excess water.
- Put the warm washcloth on the affected area for 10 minutes.
- When it starts cooling down, replace it with a new one.
- Do this a few times a day.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Packed with lactic acid and malic acid, apple cider vinegar is a good remedy for shoulder acne. Its acidic nature aids in exfoliating the skin, balancing the skin’s pH level with added beauty benefits
Spot treating shoulder acne is not always possible. Fortunately, taking a soothing oatmeal bath is considered very effective.
It helps get rid of dead skin cells and improve your skin texture. Also, its rich anti-inflammatory property makes it perfect for reducing pain and inflammation.
- Mix 1 cup of oatmeal powder into warm bath water. Soak in this bath for 15 minutes. Gently pat dry your skin and apply a light moisturizer. Enjoy this soothing bath once daily.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon each of oatmeal powder and plain yogurt with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Mix it thoroughly and apply it on your shoulders. Allow it to dry, then scrub it around using circular motions for 5 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water. Do this once a week