Sekondi, May 5, GNA- Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) in the Western Region recorded 33 fire outbreaks between January and March this year. Mr. Isaac Morgan Lawe, Regional Fire Commander told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in an interview at Sekondi on Tuesday.
He said 23 cases were domestic in nature while the remaining 10 were industrial, adding that most of the domestic fire outbreaks were as a result of old electrical wires that became exposed in most homes. He said although many landlords and occupants of such old houses were advised to re-wire their homes, they completely ignored the advise. Commander Lawe cited ignorance, mishandling of electrical gadgets, over loading of sockets and general apathy as some of the reasons for the frequent fire outbreaks.
He cautioned that bush fires could easily destroy large tracts of crops, lives and property and urged the people, cigarette smokers, farmers, hunters and drivers to be conscious of what they do to avoid causing bush fires.