Regional Minister, three others to face contempt charge
A contractor has filed a motion on notice at an Accra Fast Track High Court to commit Nii Armah Ashitey, the new Greater Accra Regional Minister, and three public officials for contempt.
The Minister and the three public officials were said to have disobeyed the orders of court by mobilizing policemen and guards to halt construction work at the Tudu Lorry Park.
The Fast Track High Court had earlier ordered Kwame Danquah of Continental Sikaman Agencies Limited to complete work on the Lorry Park within 12 months and in an undertaking provide shops to the traders as soon as work was completed.
The three public officers are Mr F.T. Nartey, Chief Director of the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council, Mr J. A. Tufour, Director of Administration, Accra Metropolitan Assembly and Chief Okai, Metro Chief Security Coordinator.
The suit said the four, who were aware of a pending suit, ignored the orders of the court and went ahead to halt work at the lorry station and their conduct should not go unpunished.
According to Mr Danquah, the conduct of the four was wilful and calculated at bringing the authority of the court into dispute.
The motion is expected to be moved on Thursday, April 23.
Meanwhile, the same court will on April 23 sentence eight members of the Tomato Traders Association, who have been found guilty for contempt.
The eight, who were also aware of the suit, destroyed materials meant for work and moved to the foundation platform and turned it into a market place.
In a motion in support of an affidavit, Mr Danquah said on October 23, 2007, a writ of summons was issued against him and the AMA.
Following his response, Mr Danquah said, the court set aside the order of interlocutory injunction and ordered him to sign an undertaking to complete a commercial property situated at Tudu within 12 months and give the plaintiffs the first option to relocate shops to them by July 25, 2008.
Mr Danquah said he, therefore, began work immediately but was cited for contempt together with the Former Metropolitan Chief Executive of AMA, Mr Stanley Adjiri Blankson and brought before the court.
The Court on October 5, 2008 directed Mr Danquah to continue with work and to complete the project on time.
However, during the course of work members of the Tomato Sellers Association stormed the site and destroyed properties.
They were, therefore, cited for contempt and on April 8 the court convicted them but deferred sentence to April 20.
On April 10, while Mr Danquah's workers were on site, Chief Okai and personnel of the Assembly's taskforce, policemen and metro guards stormed the site and insisted that work must stop.
Chief Okai apprehended Mr Danquah's foreman and handed over two letters written by Mr Nartey and Mr Tufour on the directives of Regional Minister to stop work.
Solicitors of Mr Danquah responded to the letters and drew their attention to the pending orders by the court.