The Accra Regional Police Command had warned residents of ‘Sodom and Gomorrah’ to stop all development works at the site until investigations into the cause of the fire outbreak is complete.
A statement signed by Inspector Kwaku Dompreh of the Command’s Public Affairs section said the action of the residents would mean tampering with vital exhibits and that would assist investigations into the fire outbreak.
It said the caution has been necessitated because it has come to the notice of the command that some residents have started creating structures on the site when investigations are still on-going.
On Thursday, January 18, fire gutted the sprawling slum of Sodom and Gomorrah in Accra, destroying property said to run into millions of cedis.
It was the second fire outbreak in the area in less than a month. Fire gutted portions of the slum on December 24, last year.
In another development, the command has warned all those who sell along ceremonial roads in the city to stop it forthwith or face the law.
'Anybody found hawking along these ceremonial roads will be arrested and prosecuted,' the statement cautioned.
It however debunked allegations by some hawkers that some of their wares were stolen during the demolishing exercise since all the affected wares were properly checked and taken into custody by the officials of the AMA.