Accra, June 9, GNA - Government on Thursday appealed to striking doctors and other para-medical staff to return to work in full confidence that their concerns would be dealt with to mutual satisfaction.
Mr Kwabena Bartels, Minster of Information and National Orientation, at a press briefing to add Government's voice on the recent strike at the Castle, said Government had been working hard to address their concerns.
He gave the assurance that the new salary levels and a one-third of their arrears, would definitely be paid at the end of June, without fail.
"We are aware and appreciative of the effort being made by Senior Doctors, the Military and Police Hospitals, as well as other private hospitals to provide services to minimize the suffering of the people ", he said.
Mr Bartels announced that Government would meet with leaders of the striking groups of the health professionals on Friday, June 9 and expressed the hope that issues raised could be amicably resolved. The Minister said there was the need for the health professionals to understand that it would not be possible for the Controller and Accountant General (CAG) to release their monies before the scheduled time, due to technical difficulties.
According to Mr Bartels, the implementation of the new salary level was also delayed as a result of inaccuracies in the computerization of data at the CAG that had to be ratified before implementation. He said what was happening in the Health Sector, would enable the Government to expedite work in relation to all other sectors, in order to enjoy a peaceful working environment in the country.