Stakeholders Laud Double Track Policy

Stakeholders in the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi, have lauded the government for the introduction of the Double Track Policy for Senior High School students, saying it will help Ghanaian children in their pursuit of quality education.

Mr. Benjamin Ofori Quaku, a parent who brought his daughter to the Anglican Senior High School (KASS), told The Chroniclehe did not face any challenge when he reported at the school.

According to him, he was directed to a place where he was given a form to fill, which he did in less than ten minutes, upon which he was issued with a chit to go for “my wards items from the bookshop.”

According to him, he lives at Buokrom, a suburb of Kumasi, and his daughter was offered General Arts with boarding house status. Asked if he was asked to pay money for a service in connection with the double track system, Ofori Quaku responded in the negative. He praised the government for the new system which has been introduced because of deficits in infrastructure.

He said: “Nations are developed owing to education, so with this double system, where 80% or 90% of Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) graduates are having access to education, I believe Ghana has a bright future.”

The Headmaster of KASS, Rev Canon Senkyi, revealed that admission was ongoing smoothly, and that, as of Tuesday, September 10, 2018, which he described as a busy day, they had admitted over 800 students. He noted that the double track system was good and should be supported by all.

The Ghana Education Service (GES) released the placements of 423,134 students who have successfully made it under the 2018 Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS). This is out of 521,710 total registered candidates. It means 67,382 could not be placed under the system.

In an interview with another parent in the same school, Doris Amoanemaa, she indicated to this paper that she did not encounter any problems when she came to work on her daughter's admission process.

She noted that her daughter was offered day status, and that the authorities have schooled her on how and what parents should do. She lauded the government the new system, asking parents and guardians to support it, since education is the best legacy parents or guardians can bequeath their children.

At St Louis Senior High School, Madam Ama Kyerewaa Benefo, Headmistress, stated the process was going on smoothly, and that they had at the time not encountered any challenges.

Asked about the number of students her school has admitted so far, she revealed that as of yesterday (Tuesday), about 250 students had gone through the admission process. She emphasised that the free SHS is real and that no parent is paying a pesewa.

Kyerewaa Benefo mentioned that if someone claims to have paid money at St Louis SHS, the media should contact her office for investigations to be carried out to unravel the truth.

According to her, the system is very good and has assisted a huge number of students, who, under normal circumstances, would not have got the chance to be admitted into the school.

She said: “Government has expanded the enrolment; last year we had about seven hundred

students, and this year we going to have twice as much, which is about 1,400. You can imagine the number of students we are getting here, so the expansion has made it possible for us to enroll more students that we couldn't have done if it were to be a single track.”

Nana Kyea Mensah, a parent, also told The Chronicle that the system, though new, is laudable, since the government wanted everybody to be in school. Kyea Mensah continued that since the system has just taken off, things would normalise for Ghanaians to see the results.

Responding to a question as to whether the double track project should have been piloted before implementation, the Pentecost Minister asked: “Whose daughter should stay at home, looking at the number of students who want to enter the SHS. Is it my child or whose child?”

At T.I Ahmadyya there were scores of parents and guardians on campus going through admission formalities for their wards.

Alex Forkuo and one woman, who mentioned her name as Achiaa, – both parents, told The Chronicle that their wards had yellow cards and were waiting for their turn to be registered. The duo noted that they reported there two days ago, but there were a lot of people, hence, they could not register their wards.



News Sports Lifestyle Entertainment


News Sports Lifestyle Entertainment