body-container-line-1
25.09.2016 Politics

BNI returns seized books to man who allegedly insulted Mahama

By MyJoyOnline
BNI returns seized books to man who allegedly insulted Mahama
25.09.2016 LISTEN

The Bureau of National Investigation (BNI) has return books reported to have been seized from a Ghanaian Lebanese pilot and author Faddi Dabbousie to his residence, Joy News has learned.

His lawyer, Hassan Tampoli said on Sunday at about 5:45 am, operatives of the BNI returned to the residence of Mr Fadi without a search warrant but they were given access to the property.

"All they did this morning was to return all the copies of the book they took away although they still have in their possession the diary, pen drives and other valuables that they took away," he said.

Fadi is been held by the BNI headquarters after been picked at the Kotoka international airport on Friday. He is the author of a book ‘‘59 years of Ghana to nowhere; the future is now’’.

Joy News security sources say he has made some offensive comments about President Mahama.

Mr Tampoli confirmed this to Joy News and says he is yet to have access to his client noting he will go to court to compel the BNI to produce him.

“I have been to the office of the BNI and I was denied access to him. I was told the officer responsible for the case was not in the office and that I can only have access to him on Monday,” he told Joy News on Saturday.

He said he would go to the offices of the BNI on Sunday to see if he would be given access to his client whom he said is on some sort of medication and they need to check up on him to see if he has his medication.

According to Mr Tampoli, he has not been told why his client has been arrested and he has not bee allowed to speak to any "responsible officer" at the BNI office.

"They should not err on the side of the law they should allow me access to him so I can hear his side of the story and the reason for his arrest. The 48 hours rule applies and it expires midday today [Sunday, September 25]," he said.

The lawyer is questioning why the BNI says it does not work on weekends yet they were able to go to his client's house to return the books.

Mr Tampoli said he would seek a court order on first thing Monday to compel the BNI to release him or arraign him before the court.

M r Dabboussie is believed to be a sympathizer of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) and some party sympathisers and human rights activists have condemned the act on social media.

Story by Ghana | Myjoyonline.com | Abubakar Ibrahim | Email: [email protected]

body-container-line