body-container-line-1

I have the backing, blessing of my family - Zanetor Rawlings

By Myjoyonline
Politics I have the backing, blessing of my family - Zanetor Rawlings
OCT 8, 2015 LISTEN

Dr. Zanetor Rawlings, daughter of former president Rawlings, said she went into the NDC Klottey Korley parliamentary primary with the full backing of her parents.

After successfully sailing through the party’s vetting process Thursday, she told Joy News’ Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah, “I have received their blessing before I went and filed my nominations”.

Though she has the support of the family, she said, she would win on her own record at the constituency.

She would be contesting the incumbent Member of Parliament Nii Armah Ashietey. The third candidate Tetteh Quarshie was disqualified because he went independent when he lost the last primary to the incumbent.

Zanetor’s father former President Jerry John Rawlings founded the National Democratic Congress and won two presidential elections on its ticket. On the other hand, her mother’s effort to govern the nation in the 2012 election was dashed after the National Democratic Party (NDP) failed to meet the Electoral Commission’s requirements for the presidential election.

Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings left the NDC to the NDP after losing massively to late Professor Atta Mills.

With a divided political family it was initially not clear which of the the two parties she would be contesting on until she announced her decision to join her father in the NDC.

But so far as the former first family was concerned, the freedom of each member’s association is something they respect, and “I am expressing mine” with the NDC, she stated.

“I have the backing of my entire family. We believe in the right to choose,” she shed light on her family’s thought on politics.

She debunked perception that she would be riding on the fame of the father going into the November 7 constituency election.

She indicated that she is a marketable material and would annex the parliamentary slot because she is well known in the constituency.

Earlier in the day, four constituency executives were suspended from taking part in the vetting process because they publicly aligned themselves to the aspirants which is against the election rules and regulations of the party.

body-container-line