body-container-line-1
04.10.2015 Feature Article

Religion Is Part Of Humanity

Religion Is Part Of Humanity
04.10.2015 LISTEN

With snippets of queries from people especially Brothas about religion and Christianity, the most targeted, I want to reiterate these points even if they have been repeatedly here or elsewhere.

Giving reverence to a superior being (known or unknown) is not too different from giving respect to one's parents or grand-parent in adulthood when they they do virtually nothing for one. This feeling is what makes us humans and the most superior of all creation.

God/Allah or or whatever one may call Him as the creator of humans and all that is in the world, deserves even more of this respect even though there isn't much that He has to do further for us humans and nature as our responsibility. It may sound like a fairy tale to some but no problem, let's reason on. When loved ones die we honor their departure with funerals and visit the graves occasionally etc.

If any atheist does these, I want to know from them if they forget that the corpse is lifeless and functionless, or is it because they delight in wasting their time on useless things! Is it not for everything else that made that person, other than the lifeless corpse, that we do all these? And what name do we give those things if not "spirit".

Now let us look at faith as another bastardised issue by atheist. When we have children, whether planned or not, why do we care for them? Do we do it to secure our future, to please the state, out of love for them, or fear of them or what? Why do we think those children we are caring for would outlive us? Any scientific, empirical evidence on this, maybe or maybe not, but whatever the our feelings are, we do it and hope for the best. If the religions' faith is the equivalent of the secular "hope" and the child's "success" compares with the ultimate reward for the religions, would that be an unreasonable belief? Is it not based on faith that we make plans for the following day knowing well that some people do not live to see the following day!

By the way let us look at one definition of "Religion" from the Wiktionary: Any practice that someone or some group is devoted to, and using STARTREK in its example. Yes it may not be easy for atheist to accept, but if a soccer fan can commit suicide because their favourite team lost a match, is their team not their god, and soccer their religion? Well is such a person for example any more reasonable with regards to religion than a Christian or Muslim?

So bottomline is that we all have what we are devoted to, either as atheist or religious; the religious have identified and proclaimed theirs, the atheist should come out with theirs however unique, if they are not ashamed of them. It is then that they would appreciate the spiritual as the non-palpable connection between them and their that entity/object.

With spirituality as an issue, let it suffice that even as I type now and send it through "space" without any physical connections to my device, for it to travel thousands of miles within seconds we are looking at spirituality; it does not belong only in the realms of religion. Life generally is a combination of the physical and the spirit. If anyone finds it difficult to understand this and allows themselves to be governed by "the spirit and letter" of the Constitution, then at least I would consider pointing out who is being unreasonable, the religious or the atheist if there is the need for that.

May God/Allah help us!

body-container-line